- When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change
- You cannot give what you do not have
- Nobody likes to be told what to do
- As you think, so you shall be
- Have a mind that is open to everything, and attached to nothing
- There are NO justified resentments
- Stop finding excuses
- Walk down another street
- Don’t die with your music still in you
These are mantras pinned to my wall at home. I have used them for the past few years with varying degrees of success.
Right now, I am so filled with rage and bile and resentment that I have taken these down. They seem disingenuous and ineffective platitudes for the feeble.
Except… all the vile rage rolling in my head, all the things I am saying to myself about people around me, all the projections, all the hatred and the self-pity…isn’t that also just a litany of mantras?
So what makes them different? Why do I always believe the negative? Why am I so certain that the hateful spite is my voice, but the positive, uplifting mantras are someone else trying to have my thoughts for me?
Are we naturally programmed to wallow in the darkness and shun anything that feels good, that calms and releases the pain?
I guess I have my questions for my therapist tomorrow.
©️ Dave Luis 2018. All Rights Reserved.
Image by Ksenia Makogonova at unsplash free images